Have you wanted a detailed step-by-step guide for how to set up breakout groups? Here you go!
1. Select participants, mute their mics. (Using the dropdown menu on the top-middle of the interface, select participants. Then hit the "Mute" button in the upper right.)
2. Create breakout groups with the blue button on the left side of the conductor's interface
3. Give instructions to participants for the breakout** - how many people per group, how long they'll have, and the suggested topic for the breakout
4. Select participants, click the "Breakout Only" mic in the upper right
5. Sound audio cue tone
6. Set timer for however long you told them the breakouts would last
7. Select yourself, click the mute button, and "walk the room" by selecting the room numbers on the mid-right side of the screen
8. When you're ready to bring people back, sound the audio cue tone if you'd like, give yourself a big mic, and start speaking ("Wrap it up, thank your partners...")
9. Resume your presentation on the Public mic. You can click the red "Dissolve" button on the left side to make the groups disappear. Or, if you want to put participants back in their groups later in the call, you can select participants and mute them again so they're not distracting each other if they have background noise.
Each call is different, so feel free to refer to use these just as basic guidelines. I've also recorded a video playlist that walks you through these steps. You can watch that video playlist by clicking here:
I hope these resources are helpful for you!
**Here are the words I tend to use to orient people to what's about to happen for them in their breakout groups:
"The topic to kick off your group is _______." You'll have __ minutes total and be in groups of __, so that leaves __ minutes per person. Once the breakouts begin, please say your name, greet your partner(s), and dive into the topic. Ok! You're in your breakout groups now (as I select participants, then give them all a breakout only mic). Again, the question is _____. Please begin!"
Then I sound the audio cue tone, start the timer, mute my mic, and start walking the room.
Please sign in to leave a comment.